Germany: Launch of the new DMB campaign “Rent price stop in Germany- your home is at stake!”
The German tenants union, together with an alliance of unions and civil society organisations will host a kick-off to their campaign for a nation-wide rent stop, based on the Berlin rent freeze.
The stocktaking conference on the Federal Government’s housing offensive on 23 February marks the start of the campaign of a civil society, non-partisan alliance for a 6-year nationwide rent stop. Six representatives of the broad-based alliance will take stock of the actual situation on Friday, 19 February, and present their demands to combat the current rent crisis. More and more people are afraid of losing their homes. The spiral of rents is going upwards without mercy. The corrections made so far under tenancy law are far from sufficient. Even in the Corona pandemic, rents continue to rise in many cases, while at the same time many people have to cope with a loss of income. The stock of affordable social housing has reached a new low. The speculation with land is not stopped. The federal government must finally act – because the social gap must not be allowed to widen!
- LUKAS SIEBENKOTTEN, German Tenants’ Association (DMB)
- LORENA JONAS, Initiative 23 Houses Say NO, Berlin
- ULRICH SCHNEIDER, The Paritätische Gesamtverband (German Parity Association)
- TILMAN SCHAICH, Initiative #ausspekuliert, Munich
- FLORIAN MORITZ, German Trade Union Confederation (DGB)
- KALLE GERIGK, Initiative Right to the City Cologne
- Moderation: DR. JUTTA HARTMANN, German Tenants’ Association (DMB)
Friday, 19 February 2021, 11:00 a.m. – 12:00 p.m. CET
Meeting-ID: 893 2743 6703