IUT Policy Papers
Below are some key IUT policy papers and press releases on different matters. For more info on our policy work, please see our special EU and energy policy sites.
- IUT calls for moratoria on evictions, energy price caps and long-term climate allowances for low- and middle income households
- IUT calls for help for tenants to prevent a worsening of the European housing crisis
- Contribution by IUT and others to the informal conference of EU Ministers responsible for housing
- Statement on evictions
- Statement on Russia’s invasion of Ukraine
- Views of the IUT on the revision of the Energy Performance Buildings Directive (available in German)
- IUTs answer to the Energy Efficiency Directive report of the European Parliament
- European Parliament vote on affordable housing wins the day! Promoting security of tenure, affordability and enforceable right to adequate housing
- 11 Claims by the International Union of Tenants to continue building for each person’s right to a safe home in a Post-COVID World
- European Parliament vote on affordable housing wins the day!
- In a game-changer vote, the European Parliament adopted a bill to promote security of tenure, affordability and enforceable right to adequate housing.
- The Recovery: A tenant-friendly EU Green Deal
11 claims by the IUT towards the EU Green Deal renovation wave- Boosting the economy by combating energy poverty and creating a sound and safe living environment in green quarters.
- We have a special site covering our response and policy on Corona virus & Covid-19.
- Corona pandemic: Statement from IUT
Don’t make the Covid-19 pandemic crisis a homelessness crisis – Read our statement in support of tenants, from IUT President, Marie Linder, and the Members of the Executive Committee
- IUT has responded to the consultation by the UN special rapporteur for adequate housing. IUT emphasised the need for states to take action to achieve the human rights goal of adequate housing for all. The response is available here.
- Updates from the previous IUT President Sven Bergenstråhle can be found on this site.
- IUT members have reported on the progress of housing policy in their respective countries and their wishes for the future in a booklet “IUT minisurvey and report to the 21st World Conference“
- The IUT Priorities for the European Parliament has now been translated to German, Spanish, Catalan, French, and to Italian. Members and supporters can use and adapt this to their particular circumstances and send the text to their respective MEPs.
- IUT’s housing policy working group has drafted a letter IUT Priorities for the European Parliament 2019-2024 to MEPs ahead of the European elections in May 2019. Members and supporters can use, adapt and translate if they wish and send their own version to their MEPs.
- IUT has issued a position paper on security of tenure and rent stabilisation and control. The paper was approved by the IUT Board at their Board meeting on 4th May 2018.
- Press release on World Consumer Day 15th March 2018
- Preventing Inadequate Housing is a Gain for Society
- Congress statement 2016 – The rent is too high: We need a 21st-century rent control
- Rent regulation and security of tenure, an IUT publication
- IUT’s tri-annual EU activity report 2013-2015
- IUT Declaration: Eviction is not the solution! People need roofs over their heads!
- Future Challenges of Social Housing in Europe: New Perspectives for the financial and legislative framework of the EU
- CECODHAS Housing Europe
- Will the Investment flow to the real Economy meet Affordable Housing
- IUT – meets with Commissioner Mimica, European Commissioner for Consumer Protection
- Tenants’ Milestones for the new European Parliament (eng)
- Tenants’ Milestones for the new European Parliament (fr)
- Tenants’ Milestones for the new European Parliament (de)
- About Time to stop a European wave of Evictions
- In a Social Europe we want more Social Housing
- Welcomes new EU Initiative for Social Housing
- 10 Energy Policy Recommendations of the International Union of Tenants
- Affordable Rental Housing for the Young
- We need more Affordable Housing to Solve European Economic Crisis, not less
- IUT published three joint documents with the EHF:
- Future Perspectives of a European Housing Policy
- Recommendations on Housing for Young Adults
- Towards a European Agenda for Social Housing